Ozbargainer Moving to Singapore - Tips?
Last edited 10/04/2018 - 23:11
I'm an Ozbargainer and I've recently been offered a job in Singapore which I intend to take and I believe I'll be heading over in a few months. Do you guys have any tips for me, in general?
I might post this on Ozbargain as well and see if I get much advice over there as it's obviously still quite a fair bit more active than here.
Here's what I'm curious about at this stage:
- Banking - best transaction account? best high interest savings account (although I've heard interest rates are crap)? Someone did ask this earlier and there are some decent tips but things can change in a year :P
- Credit Cards - I'm currently extremely familiar with the Australian Credit Card market (I kinda made the Credit Card Wiki on Ozbargain? haha). I'm aware AMEX has a transfer program for when you migrate to certain countries (and I know Singapore is one of them) so I do intend to explore this
- Accomomdation - I'm aware of the options of HDB vs Condo and that condos are generally more expensive and have a gym/pool. Personally, I don't feel a condo is a necessity. I would probably even consider getting a cheaper HDB with an additional bedroom and Airbnb-ing out a spare room?
- Phone plans - I'm a SIM slut in Australia. I kinda feel this won't be a thing that I'll be able to continue to do in SG.
- Purchasing Electronics (TV, washing machine, microwave, etc.) - In Australia I would either look at paying on a Credit Card with extended warranty + points, or look at buying discounted 5% Woolies eGift Cards to buy JB Hi-Fi Gift Cards to then buy electronics. I would also look at price matching etc.
- Furniture - similar to above. Or should I look for a furnished place..? Is there a gumtree equivalent? I know there's Carousell.
- Investments - Given interest accounts have pretty low rates.. what do people normally do with their money?
- Visa (looking ahead) - PR application, if I intend to stay long term? What should I consider?
- Health Insurance/Medicare equivalent? - I've heard that medical care is quite expensive
- Food hacks, booking portals, payment apps? I know hawkers are pretty cheap as it is.. but is there something like Dimmi, Qantas Restaurants, Liven, Groupon from Australia? I've heard of GrabPay and FavePay (FavePay is what replaced Groupon)
- Discounts (or cashback/points earn) to top up EZLink? For example in Sydney, you can use discounted Woolies eGift Cards to top up your Opal card at a Woolworths
- Anything you think I should do/get in Australia before leaving?
Thanks in advance guys!